Erotica Readers & Writers Association Blog

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Pivot Points, the Sequel


Six months ago, to the day, I made my first post to the ERWA blog.  It introduced the idea I wanted to follow, keying on a theme of pivot points.

Six months ago, to the day, I was flying high above the earth, bound for a new job after 27 years with the same company.  A big pivot point in my life, methinks, and ultimately a big pivot point for all of the members of my family.  That day, January 15, 2012, my wife and I landed in the Bay area and set out to look at potential houses.

Six months ago, to the day, I wondered what the future would bring.

Today, the future is in full swing.  Since that post, my life has been a whirlwind.  Selling one house, buying another.  Learning a new technology and new business concepts.  Working many hours watching a new company grow far faster than I could have imagined, almost the exact opposite of the direction the company I was working for was going.

Today, July 15, 2012, I sit in a house in the western US, not far from the home I grew up in, thousands of miles from where I lived just a couple of weeks ago, and a few hundred miles left to go to start a new life in a new city.  We have driven cross country, and all the while, I have kept working.

The one thing that has suffered in this long pivot point has been my writing.  It is not that I haven’t been writing, it is that I haven’t been writing as much as I’m accustomed to.  It is that I am not writing the things I have written in recent times leading up to this pivot point.

I tend to believe this will be a good thing, and that all the other changes in my life, the new experiences I am going through at the age of 52 will leave me with fertile soil to till new stories.

But I can’t worry about that now.  Now all I can worry about is the here and the now.  Now, all I can do is navigate the many changes the best that I can.

Pivot points are like that.  They demand your attention.  They demand your focus.  Soon the dust will settle on this pivot point, and I'll find my way back to the familiar, but there a miles of road left to travel.

I'll catch you on the the other side next month.

6 comments:

  1. Craig,

    I'm pleased to hear that life is treating you well. The worrying thing about those pivot points is that they can tilt down as well as up. I hope you continue to enjoy the high for many long years.

    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am positive these new changes will bring wonderful new material! Welcome to the West, it's the best :-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for change! I agree that stepping into a new world can be very conducive to a new direction in writing, but it does take some time first to get your bearings.

    I wish you all the best, Craig.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you that pivot points demand attention and they also demand focus. This post is interesting and I will be looking forward to your future posts. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Craig,

    I think you have to trust your "soul", for lack of a better word, to tell you when and how to write. I've been trying to stop beating myself up because I'm not writing as much as I "should".

    Sometimes I need to remind myself that life takes place outside my mind, as well as inside.

    And thanks for six months of great posts, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your well wishes!

    We are in our new house and mostly settled. Loving the new home and enjoying entering the next phase of my new job, and I even did some writing last week.

    Things definitely appear to be tilting up, Ash.

    Donna, you are correct, the west is the best. Loving the weather here.

    Hi Remittance Girl, the writing this week is already revealing a turn in my writerly mindset. I think it is a change I needed, as I feel a new energy.

    Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts, Katy.

    Hi Lisabet, I'm definitely one who gets down on myself for not writing enough, but maybe this prolonged period of not writing much has taught me the potential benefits of stepping back and taking account. We shall see!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.